The Myanmar Responsible Tourism Awards (MRTA) aim to raise awareness of the high potential that Myanmar’s tourism industry has to generate meaningful social, economic, and environmental benefits.
Responsible tourism is about making better places to live in, and better places for people to visit. It involves:
- minimising negative economic, environmental and social impacts,
- generating greater benefits for local people, and
- making positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage
Who can apply?
We encourage entities of all sizes that are directly involved in the responsible development of the Myanmar tourism sector to enter the Myanmar Responsible Tourism Awards. There are no fees to enter MRTA.
We also encourage you to nominate businesses, community organizations or individuals that you think are making a difference.
How to apply?
Entities may apply to more than one category and applications may be submitted in Burmese or English.
- Stage 1: Shortlisting
Applications are reviewed by the MRTA Management Team, who will shortlisted candidates per category.
- Stage 2: Verification
Shortlisted candidates are visited on-site by our assessors, who verify the claims made in their application.
- Stage 3: Panel review
An independent panel of judges meets to review the applications and findings from the on-site assessments to decide on the winner for each category.
Applications for each category are scored against the same criteria; following an initial introduction by the assessors, the judges will discuss and agree scores as a group to ensure that a range of perspectives are taken into consideration. A panel chairperson will be present to oversee the discussion and to ensure that discussions are balanced and un-biased.
Why participate in MRTA?
- Winners will be recognised and promoted as responsible tourism leaders in the regional and international markets
- Increase brand awareness and boost your profile and visibility in the market
- Attract valuable media coverage across various channels, including the MRTA newsletter, press releases and social media
- Use your submission to assess strengths and weaknesses and identify the full potential of your business
- Receive valuable feedback from our independent panel of expert judges on your submission and business practices
- Celebrate and network with the leaders of the Travel & Tourism industry in Myanmar